Monday, December 27, 2010

Holiday Happiness






My family and I are, like so many others, in the middle of a nice, long break from reality (in a manner of speaking.) The children are off from school, I am off from lessons, Rob is off from work. It's been this way well over a week and will be that way for almost another week. We are getting spoiled!

We have had some wonderful extended family gatherings over the last two weeks. The fun began on the 18th of December at Uncle Bobby and Aunt Beverly (Spurlin)'s house. We gathered in with much extended family for Christmas finger foods and chili, and had a rollicking time playing Dirty Santa together. We hadn't exchanged gifts with that bunch as a whole like that in many, many years, and it was a blast! So funny what people will fight over. Of course my brother, Dave, wound up with a Rubik's Cube! (With a little help from his loving sis...) He has always been the king of solving the Rubik's Cube. But hasn't had one in a long time. What ever happened to those things?

We have a few December birthdays in our family, also. So, we got together at Nana and Papa's (Rob's parents) for his mom's birthday last week. Them, their kids, in-laws, and grandkids. 12 of us in all. We fill up a place. Ginny's birthday wishes? A sink and can lights. I know, right? So she got Lowe's gift cards.

Then that whole crew came to our house for Christmas Eve. Our first time to host. It went so well. We ate all the wonderful favorite foods, let the kids open gifts, enjoyed visiting. I even played Christmas music on the piano for awhile, something unique to hosting at our house. Some folks sang along. And the kids played with gifts. The pictures at the top are from Christmas Eve at our house.

On Christmas morning we awoke to sheer beauty. The joy on our children's faces that Christmas had finally arrived, and the blanket of whiteness covering the earth all around us, with beautiful snowflakes continuing to fall well into the afternoon. A White Christmas! An unexpected one, at that! It was absolutely glorious. God surprised us, as only He could. And we loved it, every moment.

For Christmas lunch, we headed out to my mother's house, where we met up with her, my brother, my grandfather, his friend, Wilma, and my Uncle Calvin. It was so beautiful, the snow out in the country. And the kids got a Wii! Mother cooked up a little scheme with Uncle Calvin, too. A couple of the kids had gotten wind of the idea that a Wii might await them there after snooping around and finding a Wii game at our house. So, one of them said to my mother, "When can we open the Wii? A bit taken aback, they decided for Uncle Calvin to open the Wii as though she had bought it as HIS gift. The kids were really sweating it, let me tell you.

Poor Chloe still thinks Calvin bought them the Wii. She sent him a note via my Facebook and everything.

Next up, cousin Sarah's birthday! Baby girl will be FIVE!!!! Can not believe it. The Hunters are taking us all to Chuck E. Cheese to celebrate. That will be a big hit, we always love Chuck E. I love my skeeball. The kids have to watch out for me, I'll take their tokens. (Not really. But I'll want to.)

I hope all your Christmas celebrating is going well...and that you have a lovely New Year's Eve and Day!

Blessings...

No comments: